Monday, February 13, 2012

I'm not Clowning Around Here

Over the weekend, Eric and I were traveling through the mountains of Tennessee looking for a bad ass breakfast place where we could stop and get some biscuits and gravy. Unfortunately, we found nothing of the sort and finally stopped at a McDonald's attached to a gas station. We were too late for breakfast so we ordered cheeseburgers for breakfast. I ordered a happy meal because I really like the smaller cheeseburger. I think those small cheeseburgers at McDonald's are the perfect size and I wish main stream restaurants sold cheeseburgers that size. I don't want my cheeseburger to be over run by meat. I also want to taste and enjoy the cheese, the pickles and the bread. These little cheeseburgers are also only 300 calories.

So I got my $3 happy meal and my husband got a $7 combo meal. When the lady said our total was almost $11 I had to ask her to repeat herself. Am I confused and we ended up at a Chik-fila, on a Sunday? No, my husband is just that good at spending money. So he paid and I was happy. :) (Editor's note here: order off the dollar menu for the best value).

I don't go to McDonald's a lot and this is just a fact. I'm not saying this to be a White snob because I honestly like McDonald's. In addition to their little cheeseburgers that I like, I like their iced coffee. When I worked at Gnat's Landing on Saint Simons Island, I use to go on my break between shifts to McDonald's and pick up large iced vanilla coffees for everyone. These 20 ounce beverages sold for $2. Two dollars. When a new coffee shop opened in our shopping center, we tried to give it a chance. But after you tack on tax and the for some unknown reason obligatory tip to your $5 coffee drink, your ten dollar bill just turned into small change. So it was back to McDonald's.

I also like their dipped ice-cream cones. I think Dairy Queen has better dipped cones because they use darker chocolate. However, the cones at McDonald's are half the price of their DQ equivalent and of course, they're also delicious. EDGE: McDonald's.

For breakfast, I have been a long time fan of the famous Egg McMuffin. This delicious breakfast sandwich is also only 300 calories and 12 grams of fat.  Compare that to Burger King's bacon, egg and cheese biscuit that has 420 calories and 25 grams of fat or to really any other breakfast sandwich on any fast food restaurant's menu, including the other ones on McDonald's menu.

I'm sure a lot of you have seen the movie "Super Size Me," which attacks the fast food industry in general and McDonald's in particular. For the record, I enjoyed this movie and thought it made some good points, particularly about the crap kids are getting fed in schools. One point that this movie made though, was that McDonald's isn't doing enough to post their nutrition information. I had no problem finding the nutrition information online when I was doing research for this blog. The information is user friendly and accessible. McDonald's even used pictures with their nutrition facts. I could not, however, find the nutrition information for the dipped cones I like. I'm guessing this is because this is something that is only offered regionally. If your curios, I'm sure they're bad for you.

My husband and I had only one complaint about our breakfast/lunch at McDonald's and that was the fries. The fries were not hot. Now, the people who helped us were fairly nice and I'm sure would have happily exchanged the fries for hot ones if I hadn't been too lazy and hung over to get up off my ass and do this. All and all though, I enjoyed my lunch at McDonald's and will undoubtedly go there again, because let's face it - I'm an American.

No comments:

Post a Comment